Assistant Professor of Surgery
Associate Director Emergency General Surgery
Associate Director of Research
Division of Acute Care Surgery
Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
Dr. Hanna earned his undergraduate degree as well as his PhD in Human Genetics and Molecular Biology from the Johns Hopkins University. He went on to earn his medical degree from the University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine in 2006. He completed his internship and residency in general surgery at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston in 2012. Dr. Hanna completed a two-year fellowship in Trauma and Surgical Critical Care in 2013 at Harvard University, Brigham and Women’s Hospital.
Dr. Hanna joined the faculty at Robert Wood Johnson in July 2013 as Assistant Professor of Surgery at Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School. He now serves as Associate Director of Emergency General Surgery and Associate Director of Research within the Division of Acute Case Surgery.
- Hanna, J.S. Sarcopenia and Critical Illness: A Deadly Combination in the Elderly. JPEN 2014 In Review
- Peck, G., Ferrada, P., Hanna, J., et al. Can we augment the American Trauma Fellow’s Operative Training? The Pan American Trauma Society Fellowship: An American Surgical Critical Care Fellow’s Experience in Cali Colombia. Journal of the Pan-American Trauma Society. Accepted Manuscript 10/2013 pending publication.
- Hanna J.S., Spencer P.J., Savopoulou C., Kwasnik E., Askari R. Spontaneous adrenal pheochromocytoma rupture complicated by intraperitoneal hemorrhage and shock. World Journal of Emergency Surgery, 6(1):27, 2011
- Warren C.D., Eckley D.M., Lee M.S., Hanna J.S., Hughes A., Peyser B., Jie C., Irizarry R., Spencer F.A. S-phase checkpoint genes safeguard high-fidelity sister chromatid cohesion. Mol. Biol. Cell. 15(4):1724-1735, 2004
- Warren, C.D., Brady, M., Johnston, R.C., Hanna, J.S., Hardwick, K.G., Spencer, F. Distinct chromosome segregation roles for spindle checkpoint proteins. Mol. Biol. Cell. 13: 3029–3041, 2002
- Hanna, J.S., Kroll, E.S., Lundblad, V., Spencer, F.A. S. cerevisiae CTF18 and CTF4 are required for sister chromatid cohesion. Mol. Cell. Biol. 21(9):3144-3158, 2000
- Cohen, K.J., Hanna, J.S., Prescott, J.E., Dang, C.V. Transformation by the Bmi-1 oncoprotein correlates with its subnuclear localization but not its transcriptional suppression activity. Mol. Cell. Biol. 16(10): 5527-5535, 1996
- Erika L. Rangel MD, M.S., Gifty Kwakye MD, Christopher Calahan BS, Zara Cooper MD, M.Sc., Ali Salim MD, Mohammad Sarhan MD, Joseph Hanna MD,Ph.D. Mortality Following Emergency Surgery Continues to Rise After Discharge in the Elderly. American Association for the Surgery of Trauma, Philadelphia, PA 2014
- Mejia Toro, David Alejendro, Peck, G, Hanna, J, Lissauer, M, Gracias, V, Ordonez, C. Management Brevity in Severe Penetrating Torso Damage control Lowers Mortality. ACS-COT Region XIV. April 2014.
- Geriatric Trauma: Essential Concepts and Management Strategies. Grand Rounds, Pallisades Medical Center, 5/2014
- The Open Abdomen: Blessing or Curse. Grand Rounds, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, 5/2012
- The Open Abdomen: Blessing or Curse. Grand Rounds, Veterans Health Administration Boston, 2/2012